Sermon Summary - Genesis 24 tells the story of how God provided a wife for Isaac. In contrast with some of the extraordinary stories chronicling Abraham’s journey of faith, the story of Isaac and Rebekah appears very ordinary. It is a story, much like our everyday life that doesn’t feel epic or exciting, but with careful reflection and attention, we see in it the gracious providence of God at work. As we begin to see God’s hidden providence at work in this story we are reminded that God alone is our sovereign sustainer.
Listen to the sermon here.
Key Verse - The man gazed at her in silence to learn whether the Lord had prospered his journey or not. When the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold ring weighing a half shekel, and two bracelets for her arms weighing ten gold shekels, and said, “Please tell me whose daughter you are. Is there room in your father’s house for us to spend the night?” She said to him, “I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, whom she bore to Nahor.” She added, “We have plenty of both straw and fodder, and room to spend the night.” The man bowed his head and worshiped the Lord and said, “Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken his steadfast love and his faithfulness toward my master. As for me, the Lord has led me in the way to the house of my master’s kinsmen.” - Genesis 24:21-27 (ESV)
- Read through Genesis 24. We recommend using the questions from the DNA Meeting Guide to help guide your study of this text. The guide also gives your DNA group a simple structure to work through the passage and discuss together.
- Getting to the Heart - Where do you see God’s presence in this story? Why do you think we so often miss God’s presence in the ordinary stuff of life? What tends to blind you from the awareness of God’s presence with you?
- Prayer and Application - What patterns of fear do you see in your own life? What is your typical response to fear (some freeze, some overwork to gain control, some perform to impress others, etc.)? How does this text and ultimately the Gospel give you courage to move forward in faith?
Kids Worship Questions:
- Read Genesis 24:1-28. Draw a picture that represents what is happening in the story.
- Think back on the last week. How has God cared for you through ordinary means? Make a list of all the blessings you can think of that you received this past week. Did you know every good gift is from God? Thank him for all you have been given.
- As you head back to school in the next few weeks there might be things you worry about. When we feel scared or fearful it is an opportunity to pray. Ask God to remind you of his care for you in the past and his presence with you right now. Tell him the things that you are afraid of and ask him for help to walk forward in faith.