Each week during our Proverbs series we will be posting follow up resources to help you reflect on and apply the scripture preached through on Sunday.
SERMON SUMMARY - This week we continued our look into the wisdom of Proverbs as we considered our need to “pay attention” to how we live in our family relationships. We considered a single aspect of Proverbs wisdom for each person in the family. Husbands, pay attention to the way you speak to your wives (Pr. 31:28-29). Wives and women, pay attention to the expectations you put on yourself or take on from others (Pr. 31:10-31). Parents, pay attention to whats going on beneath the surface with your children. Children, pay attention to your parents instruction even though they are not perfect. Finally, we saw how the way we love one another in our families flows out of how God has loved us in Christ.
Here is a link to the sermon if you missed it - LINK
SCRIPTURE TO MEDITATE ON THIS WEEK - Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old. Get the truth and never sell it; also get wisdom, discipline, and good judgment. The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure to have children who are wise. So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy. Proverbs 23:22–25 (NLT)
MC/DNA DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
- Why is it important for us to pat attention to how we relate to our families? How is this a challenge for you?
- Why is it important for Husbands (or Fathers of daughters) to speak praise, encouragement, and truth to their wives (or daughters)? What culture are you setting in your household for the way you use your words (consider tone, content, and quality of what you communicate)?
- Wives and women, what expectations do you have for yourself or do you feel others place on you? How do you stay grounded in and embrace God’s expectations for you?
- How do you pay attention to what is going on in the hearts of your children? What practical rhythms do you (as a Husband/Wife parenting team) need to cultivate an awareness of your childs heart and not simply react to their external behavior?
- What does it look like for you to honor and love your parents in the life stage you are in right now? What might this look like as they grow older?
Need pastoral prayer, help or care? If there is an area of your family life that you sense a need for more pastoral help, please email [email protected]emerRR.org and we would love to setup a time to meet with you.
**If you have specific issues you would like recommended resources for please feel free to email [email protected] Also, we have DVD series that can be checked out on Parenting and Marriage.