Main Idea - The Apostle Paul tells us that following Jesus means abstaining from sexual immorality. Sex is a sacred gift to be enjoyed in the safe confines of marriage. This instruction flows from God’s loving care for us to not be destroyed by the idol of sex and to discover true intimacy through the Spirit within us.
Sorry, audio did not record this week.
You can also check out more resources for this series HERE.
Read through the following passages: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
Discuss the questions below with your MC or DNA group.
- What strikes you when you read this passage? What questions come to mind?
- As you read this text, what tensions do you feel? How does your own story play into this?
- Why is sexual immorality such an important subject to address for Paul? How are the approaches of religious hypocrisy who harshly condemn sexual sinners unhelpful? How are the approaches of “open and affirming” views on sexuality unhelpful?
- Why is the cultural idea of “following your heart or passions” dangerous? In what ways do you sense the Spirit leading you to submit your sexuality to God? Break up into gender-specific groups (if not already). For those willing, share how God’s grace has helped you in the area of sexuality. For some, this might mean the confession of sin where you need forgiveness and help. Others might need to confess a need for help in working through past painful experiences.
- Close your time by praying for one another and the needs that were shared.