Main Idea - The scriptures invite us to receive the Word of God as our authority which will challenge our previous thinking and assumptions. Listen to the sermon audio here.
You can also checkout more resources for this series HERE.
Read through the following passages: 1 Thessalonians 2:13-20
Discuss the questions below with your MC or DNA group.
- What are some common beliefs you or the people around you hold? Where did these ideas come from and what is the basis for their authority?
- Take a minute to read and consider 1 Thessalonians 2:13. What observations do you have about this verse? What keeps jumping out to you?
- What does the Apostle Paul mean when he refers to the “word of God”? How does the word of God challenge each and every person?
- What does it mean to have a Gospel-centered understanding of the scriptures? How does it change the way we read the scriptures if we understand it as a larger story with Jesus as the hero? What part of the scriptures are still difficult for you to embrace as “authoritative”?
- Reflect on what we have read so far in 1 Thessalonians chapters 1 and 2. How has the scripture challenged you personally? What sin in your heart might need to be confessed? What good news about God’s grace might you need to receive?