Each week during our 2018 vision series we will be posting follow-up resources to help you reflect and apply what was preached on. Attached you will find the resource from this past Sunday's sermon.
Redeemer is a Gospel-centered missional family learning and living the way of Jesus in the suburbs of Austin. This past Sunday we began to unpack what this means & understand the church as a family. We looked at how God in Christ has both forgiven us and made us family. When we come to know Christ we are adopted as sons and daughters. The implication of this is that all of those in Christ are now brothers and sisters. The church is, therefore, to relate to one another primarily as a loving family.
SCRIPTURE TO MEDITATE ON THIS WEEK:
“Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” - Colossians 3:12–17 (ESV)
MC/DNA DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
- Explain who you are to the group with three words? What do you tend to lean on to give you your significance, worth, and purpose?
- Why is it important that we find our deepest identity in Christ? Does this mean we need to rid ourselves of the unique gifts, talents, and personalities we are prone to find our identity in?
- How have you experienced being a beloved child of God? What challenges do you find with resting in this identity?
- What was your understanding of church as a kid? How does church as family encourage you? Challenge you?
- Group Activity - How have you experienced the church as family here at Redeemer? What are some practical ways in which we could grow in acting like the family we are? Pick 1-2 to implement over the next 3 months as a group. Pick 1 as an individual or family that you will do.