Sermon Summary - Words are important. Jesus teaches us that what comes out of our mouth reveals what is going on in our hearts. James tells us that our words have the power to set our life on fire. When we gossip, slander, and lie to others we start relational fires that have the power to burn down entire families and churches. But the way of Jesus leads us to speak the truth in love. But by the Spirit’s power, our words can be life-giving sources of grace.
Listen to the sermon audio HERE.
Watch the sermon video here:
Memory Verse - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16 (ESV)
- Read through Ephesians 4:15-29. We recommend using the questions from the DNA Meeting Guide to help guide your study of this text. The guide also gives your DNA group a simple structure to work through the passage and discuss together.
- Getting to the Heart - What patterns do you notice from your speech this past week? What might this reveal about your heart? What might you need to confess to the Lord and ask his help to change your speech?
- Living the Way of Jesus - What rhythms do you need in your life to cultivate the word of Christ dwelling richly in you? Who are the people God has placed in your life whom your words can be a source of his grace? What does it look like for you to speak the truth in love?
Kids Worship Questions:
- Read Ephesians 4:15-29. What do you find most interesting about this text? Draw a picture of what you read in these verses.
- Think back on this past week. What were some of the most common words that came out of your mouth? What might your words reveal about your heart?
- How can you speak encouragement to your siblings? Make a list of speech you want to put away (not say anymore) and speech you want to put on (say more frequently). Who are the people God has placed in your life that you can speak graciously to?