Sermon Summary - In both Paul and Peter we discover a consistent pattern for how marriages are to function in the way of Jesus. Christian marriage is the coming together of a man and woman to love one another within the unique roles Christ has given each. Men are called to gently nourish, care for, and lead their wives as they are led by Jesus. Women are called to yield to their husband’s leadership as they come together as a team to display Christ with their lives. All of this is fueled by the love of Christ poured into their hearts by the Holy Spirit. The ongoing union and communion of marriage are fueled by their union and communion with Christ himself.
Listen to the sermon audio HERE.
Watch the sermon video here:
Memory Verse - Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Colossians 3:18–19 (ESV)
- Read through Ephesians 5:22-33. We recommend using the questions from the DNA Meeting Guide to help guide your study of this text. The guide also gives your DNA group a simple structure to work through the passage and discuss together.
- Getting to the Heart - What are the general roles given for men and women in a Christian marriage? How have these been abused? How have they been neglected? Why is union and communion with Christ so vital in embracing the way of Jesus in our marriage?
- Living the Way of Jesus - In what ways does your marriage currently, reflect the beauty and love of Christ for the church? What areas do you need to grow in (not your spouse but you)? Who could you seek out to get help in areas that your marriage needs to grow in?
Kids Worship Questions:
- Read Ephesians 5:22-33. What do you find most interesting about this text? Draw a picture of what you read in these verses.
- How is the Christian definition of marriage distinctive from the way our culture views marriage? Talk with your parents about how you can hold to the way of Jesus in your view of marriage with humility even though others around you might have different opinions.
- How can you encourage your parents in their marriage? What can you learn from their marriage about God’s love for his church?